Sunday, July 11, 2010

"I had to kill someone to get this drink."

I wrote this poem exactly a year ago...I figured it was time to post it. My how time changes things...and how quickly.

We walked among vagabonds and vagrants
Taking in all the sights, sounds, and fragrance
Of the city on a hot summer's night
You handed me fluff and some flowers
As we wound down the small morning hours
In the glow of Saint Anthony's light
That bounced off the river and fell on the street
Catching short glimpses of our road weary feet
Black now, though they started out white
We bought sno cones and spilled some but we didn't care
Too caught up in the beauty that hung on the air
As we relished each breathtaking sight

I really don't like the end of that one, but oh well. I don't generally write poetry that rhymes...but I made en effort for someone.

******

Anywho, I wrote these two things around May, so I figured I'd post these, too.

Walking circles around this old room
Kicking up memories like dust
And choking on them
I'm missing people I barely knew;
Nostalgic for moments that never happened
It's lonely in the past
There's no one around to remember
But me
I've traced my name in those dusty old memories
And now they're mine - all mine

******

My past is eating cupcakes and sharing ice cream. It's staying up for days at a time and listening to the same song over and over. It's wandering cold streets in the middle of the night and watching tears flow down dry cheeks. It's hanging in a window for hours at a time and sitting in a coffee shop all night. It's delivering more flowers than we could fit in a car and singing and laughing along with each other. It's trying too hard and almost making it. My past is what has made me. I have been molded and shaped and eroded and worn into exactly who I am, and time is not finished with me.

******

Anywho, yeah...just felt like posting some old stuff. Had a really great night last night. It's fun being reckless and irresponsible...though it's weird when strangers take your picture...which has happened to me a lot, actually. Weird.

No comments: